Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Artist Statement

Searching for the beauty in the ordinary is what I spend my life doing, for so many people fail to realize that sometimes the most beautiful things are indeed what most may deem ordinary. Life is about experiences, what we make of them and how we react to them. Every person, being, creature, on this planet goes through things and everyone and everything has their own story, all told from a very different and yet similar perspective. Having the ability to slip into the shoes of not only a character in the world around us but the shoes of the world in which we live is something I strive for.   
I never wanted to directly share my thoughts and emotions with people so I showed them visually. I think that is why humanity created film, art, music, and literature; to tell the stories nobody had the courage to tell themselves and that is what I love about filmmaking. Taking a story, a moment, a life and bringing it into reality; into the world of the audience in a way that is simply real. Raw emotion through visuals, submerging the viewers into someone else’s shoes, immersing them in a journey. 
Cinematography isn’t always about a beautiful vista but about the raw reality of the story being told and believe me, it’s not always pretty. The way I see it, I live life through the lens, watching for moments and what makes those moments resonate, for it’s not just a great plot that tells a story, but the visuals that bring that story to life. I am an observer, a participant in not only my own journey, but that of the world and those around me. I read in pictures, see in pictures, live in pictures I always have and always will; I think its not only important to be interested in films, but interested in life. In order to evoke an emotion to an audience in a realistic form, I believe you must experience it first hand. The pictures on screen have to be true to the narrative and the best way to accomplish that, is by simply living; becoming the observer, the viewer in the bigger picture in order to better understand the snapshots.

No comments:

Post a Comment